School has started. I am wearing shorts less and less. My home has white pumpkins in every room. That means it is fall! Here is my top 10 Fall home organizing tips.
- Get your winter coats cleaned. The weather is cooling down. Before you know it, we will be reaching for our winter coats before walking outside. Don’t get stuck with wearing last year’s stink. Instead, get your coats cleaned now so they are ready for when the temperature drops.
- Designate a place for coats, hats, gloves, and scarves. Start thinking about where you want your wet winter wares to fall. Add hooks near the main entry way to hang wet items to dry.
3. Make space in your closet. It is time to start putting away your summer dresses and swim suits to make room for cold weather sweaters. Store clothes in sealed containers to protect them from moisture and pests.
4. Create a winter car survival kit. You never know when you might be faced with car troubles that leave you out in the cold. Prepare yourself with a winter car survival kit. I recommend jumper cables, flares, an ice scraper, a flashlight, at least one blanket, and a first aid kit for your car.
5. Wax your car. AdvancedAutoParts.com recommends you “apply a high-grade car wax to your vehicle’s exterior to help protect it from the possible onslaught of snow, ice, sleet, and freezing rain.”
6. Inspect and clean gutters. Your gutters are responsible for diverting thousands of gallons of water from your home’s exterior every year. Clogged gutters can damage exterior surfaces, cause water to enter your basement, and, if your house is built like mine, cause water to gush into the front door during a rain storm.
7. Test smoke and CO detectors. Test or replace the batteries in your smoke and CO detectors. Don’t have any? You should install at least one on each floor of your home.
8. Heating system maintenance. Have your heating system checked by a licensed heating contractor. When properly serviced, heating systems will last longer and use fuel more efficiently.
9. Dress your pets. Our four-legged children are effected by the weather, too. Stock up on sweaters you can dress them in as soon as cold weather strikes. Check out this cute moose applique crew sweater for less than $20 at Pet Smart.
10. Get your home ready for holiday guests. The holiday season will be here before you know it and guests will be headed to your house. Be prepared by clearing out the clutter from your guest room, cleaning the linens, and giving the room a good dusting.
What are you doing to organize yourself this Fall?