One of my favorite things about my house is the large built-in bookshelf in my living room. It is large and goes from wall to wall. It includes cabinets that are great for storing movies, cookbooks, and our serving wear that doesn’t fit in the kitchen. Here is a shot of the bookshelf before we painted it white and styled it. (You can read the post of how I renovated my bookshelf here.)
Bookshelves, especially the ones like mine that include cabinets, are breading grounds for clutter. If it has been awhile since you have gone through the items you have on display, today’s post is for you.
WEEK 12 | CLEAN YOUR BOOKCASE
Steps for cleaning and organizing your bookshelves:
- Remove as much stuff as possible. I have found that removing everything creates an environment for a fresh start.
- Wipe down all shelves and cabinets with a mild cleanser. Use a wood cleaner if your shelves are made of unpainted wood.
- Evaluate each item before putting it back on the bookshelf. Is it something you still use? Is it something you still find beautiful?
- Place items back in your cabinets and your bookshelves.
- Stand back and enjoy the view.
Like this week’s cleaning challenge? Want to see more? Check out the weekly cleaning challenge page!