A couple of weeks ago I started the One Room Challenge and I have been making over my guest room. (Check out those posts here and here.) About a year ago I bought a bed and a mattress. Unfortunately, that is about all we did to get our guest room squared away. It has been a room with a bed, sheets that barely fit, night stands that are boxes stacked on top of one another, and lamps without light bulbs for more than a year. The room is sad. Some might say very sad.
I now have an extra mattress in my home and I want it to last as long as possible. In order to get the most of my new mattress, I need to keep it maintained and clean. Do you have a mattress? Then today’s post is for you. It is time to clean your mattresses.
WEEK 11 | CLEAN YOUR MATTRESSES
According to Consumer Reports, you should clean your mattress a couple of times a year for a pleasant and productive night sleep. Additionally, a clean and cared for mattress can last longer. Here are a few steps for keeping your mattresses clean:
- Strip the linens from your bed. Wash them according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Vacuum the entire mattress surface with the upholstery attachment on your vacuum cleaner.
- Deodorize the mattress by sprinkling baking soda over the entire surface. For best results, leave the baking soda on your mattress for 24 hours.
- Vacuum the baking soda from your mattress to remove the baking soda.
- Turn or flip your mattress for even use, if possible.
Another way to protect your mattress is to use a waterproof mattress pad. Use one over your mattress, but under your sheets to help keep your mattress cleaner longer. It will protect from food crumbs from dirtying your mattress as well as stains from spilled red wine.