It has been a few weeks since I have provided an update on the progress of our laundry room remodel. However, the project is still moving along. Today I am sharing the week 1 update of our remodel.
Lets begin with how the room looked before the project started. The room was cluttered and had very little space for storage. The walls had holes from shelving that the husband took off the walls right after we moved in 4 years ago. The room also included an access panel to the space under our staircase. That is where our water shut-off valve is located.
THE DESIGN PLAN
A couple of weeks ago I shared my laundry room design plan. (Read the post: Laundry Room Design Plan.)
Some may say that their favorite project phase is demo. I can understand why. You can go into the room with a sledge hammer and start busting cabinets and walls.
We didn’t go back to the studs for the entire room, but we did remove drywall for the back wall and the ceiling. We opened up the back wall so we could move the dryer duct from the left side of the room to the right side of the room. We also moved electrical for the dryer plug to the right side of the room and added a new outlet.
For plumbing, we had the water line moved from behind the washing machine on the right side of the room to slightly left to where the cabinet was going to be installed. The idea here is to have easy access to turning off the water to the washing machine if an emergency ever required us to do so. Once the dryer is stacked on top of the washing machine, it is going to be nearly impossible to get to the water valve if it stayed in its original location.
We also opened up the ceiling to add additional lighting.
Other demo work included unhooking the washing machine and dryer. So no laundry for a few days.
Pro tip: discuss the demo/electrical/plumbing timeline with your contractor. You want your washing machine and dryer unusable for the least amount of time as possible.
We made sure to have the electrician and the plumber lined up and confirmed before starting demo. This allowed us to delay starting demo until the day before the electrician was onsite and two days before the plumber was going to be onsite.
After the plumbing and electrical changes were completed, the walls and ceiling were closed up with new drywall. New drywall was placed over the access panel. That ugly thing, though very necessary to have, is getting relocated to a near by closet.
You can see the new lighting that was installed. These are temporary lights, but they are installed where new recessed lighting will be. The room is so bright!
Our goals for next week are go get the cabinets installed, shop for stone for the counter top, and start thinking about hardware.